A little bit of harmony. A huge world of fans.
Four men, singing a cappella barbershop harmony, in front of an audience. That’s all it takes to get started in a fun and exciting form of music that can take you literally around the world and change your life forever.
That’s what happened to New Zealand’s Musical Island Boys. In 2001, they sang in a high school contest, and were, well, not great. Five years later, they were college champions. In 2014, they were WORLD CHAMPIONS, had recorded four CDs, had crisscrossed the globe numerous times, to North America, to Sweden, to Great Britain, to Japan. They were national heroes and global rock stars. (Your mileage may vary.)
You can do this, too
All it takes is some music. We’ll help you locate good, singable music that fits the style and your voices. Try it out in your solo & ensemble contest, or on campus, or on a school concert. Then, enter our event in person at more than two dozen locations across North America. OR, you can even enter by video by uploading to YouTube – just do it on a stage in front of a real, live audience.
A level playing field
Older singers with more developed voices might have an edge. That’s why there are awards and recognition in divisions for “junior varsity quartets (all members under age 19) , and special recognition for novice groups trying barbershop for the first time (no more than one member competed previously.)
Go to the big show
The championship rounds will take place at the Barbershop Harmony Society’s International Convention held in Nashville, TN, July 3-10, 2016. Click here to see more convention information as it becomes available.
Quartets who qualify for the International contest can apply for funding to help offset their competition expenses!
Easy to enter
- Get four guys, max age 25.
- Read the official Youth Barbershop Quartet Contest Rules (to know who’s eligible, where and when to enter, etc.)
- Read the Official Barbershop Contest Rules (so you know what makes a song barbershop, how we’ll evaluate your performance, etc.)
- Enter online. You will need a credit card to pay the entry fee.
- Rock the world.
Two ways to qualify:
1. Go to a designated BHS-sponsored contest (see list)
2. NEW! Qualify by video, performing in front of a live audience.
Sign Up Now
Enter the 2016 Collegiate Quartet Contest
Learn about barbershop
- Suggested Song List for the Contest
- Barbershop Harmony Society arrangement catalog
- Official Youth Barbershop Quartet Contest Rules
- Official Barbershop Contest Rules
- Barbershop warm-ups, tags, and free sheet music!